I have really been on a granola craze lately. I don’t enjoy store-bought granola that much but the homemade stuff is so good. Which is why I was pretty happy to find this recipe for skillet granola from Dinner with Julie. Granola that can be made in a frying pan is a great idea, I wish I’d known about it sooner.
I have been making batches on the weekend and then eating it during the week. It is much faster than my usual standby (toast) and now that I have to eat breakfast before I leave the house (I used to eat it at work) it is nice to have a quick, filling breakfast. I like to warm it up in the microwave for 1 minute before eating.
I have only been following the recipe in the loosest sense but I think it makes delicious granola (and I’m sure the original recipe does too). It takes me a little longer than 5 minutes, but it is still pretty quick. The ingredients depend on what is in the house and I have been working on clearing out all the leftover nuts, seeds and dried fruits from previous baking projects so there isn’t an exact recipe, more of a guide. You could skip pre-toasting the nuts/seeds but I like how they taste when they’re toasted.
Stove Top Granola
- Toast 1 cup of whole nuts (I’ve been using almonds) in a frying pan until fragrant. Remove from pan and place into small bowl.
- Toast 1 cup of sesame seeds until golden. Remove from pan and add to bowl.
- If you want to use more seeds/nuts, toast them and add to bowl. I’ve been using sunflower seeds and coconut leftover from the zucchini bread.
- Melt some butter in the frying pan, a couple tbsp for every few cups of granola you plan to make. I like butter, so I’ve been using a bit more.
- Add honey (again, a few tbsp or to taste) and heat until melted. This a great way to use that liquid honey that has gotten solid on you.
- Stir in about 2 cups of large flake oats to coat. Cook until they start to toast a little.
- Add the toasted nuts/seeds and any dried fruit you might want (raisins, cranberries, chopped dried apricots). Stir to mix.
- Remove from heat and eat a bowl full immediately. Let the rest cool and store in an airtight container.