I like having yearly goals, so for 2012 I’ve picked “one-time” goals for the year to see if that makes it easier for me. These goals are about doing things that I enjoy but don’t always make the time for so they’re really more like a to-do list than anything else. As with every year, this is just a sampling of what I’d really like to do!
1. Try growing one new vegetable this year– We had so much fun with the garden last year and I’d like to keep it exciting in 2012. I haven’t decided on the new vegetable but we’re thinking maybe a winter squash. To be honest, I’ll probably try a few new vegetables.
2. Keep up my fitness – I want to run another 1000 miles in 2012, go to yoga 100 times and finish the NROL plan. Having a mileage goal for running helped me get out and run even when I didn’t want to, so I think the same thing will help me keep up with yoga and weights. I think that I’m doing really well with my exercise plan – I just want to keep being healthy and happy! Running faster would be nice too.
3. Go on a picnic– I didn’t get this done in 2011 but in 2012 I’m going to pack up goodies and eat a picnic lunch! I want a chance to spend time with my husband and pets – preferably outdoors.
4. Take an ice bath – I have never been able to do this but I think it could be useful in recovery. I’m going to give it a try. Pretty sure I’m going to hate it!
5. Bake a loaf of sourdough bread – I think there is something magical about sourdough. I want to have a jar of starter that I have to “feed”. It could be a disaster, or it could be a year of great bread!
6. Do a yoga challenge – This should help with #2. I think a 15 day yoga challenge is reasonable for me right now.
7. Take a vacation – Going to Las Vegas last year was exactly what we needed. I have lots of travel plans, but even if we don’t go somewhere “exotic” I just want a week or two away.
8. Go out to the mountains/outdoors/wilderness at least three times – Last year I didn’t meet my goal but I also didn’t get out much. Being “out there” is something we both love to do, and I want to make sure we’re taking time from the yard, chores and work to actually do it. Ideally this includes hiking the Juan de Fuca, canoeing the Bow River (even just for a day) and some more camping.
9. Take a fantastic photograph of Jonny and I, together – we don’t have a recent photo of “us” which is silly. It’s also silly that this task has to go on the goals list, but I am much better at getting things done when they’re on a list and this is important to me. How did we go over a year without taking a photograph of us together?? I get bonus points if I get a photo with Jonny, myself, Patches and Donnelly in it!
10. Read the Harry Potter Series– Way back in high school I read the first Harry Potter book. Then I realized I enjoyed Phillip Pullman’s Dark Materials trilogy way more and read that instead. I never went back to Harry Potter but now I’m willing to give it another try. I haven’t seen most of the movies so the plot isn’t ruined for me and I won’t have to wait for the next book to come out. I’m going to aim for another 52 books in 2012 so this will take care of a large number of them. [Confession: I actually started this one a little early (vacation in the last couple days of 2012 was the perfect chance to read).]